Historical & Archeological Sites

The North Western Province is a treasure house of archaeology, having been the seat of four medieval kingdoms of Sri Lanka between the mid-12th Century and the mid fourteenth, Forced to move capitals frequently due to foreign invasion, Sri Lanka’s Kings nevertheless built handsome citadels at Panduwasnuwara, Dambadeniya, Yapahuwa and Kurunegala. Impressive remains of those citadels-fortresses, palaces, Buddhist temples, shrines, monasteries and hermitages, walls and moats as well as monuments of much earlier (even pre-Christian) and later European colonical periods, providing exciting sightseeing to visitors.

Ancient Royal Kingdoms

 

Panduwasnuwara

 
The oldest of the royal capitals in the North Western Province is Panduwasnuwara. Legend claims Panduwasnuware as the capital of King Panduwasdewa (circa 5th B.C.), successor of Vijaya, founder of the INdo-Aryan dynasty of Sri Lanka
paduwasnuwaea
   

Dambadeniya (1232-1272 A.D.)

 
Much of Dambadeniya , Sri Lanka's capital in the mid thirteenth century still lies mysteriously buried. Archeologists predict exciting 'finds' when excavations commences shortly. Thirteenth century wall and ceiling paintings and images of this period at the Wijesundararama Temple which was the Temple of the Tooth (Dalada Maligawa) during the Dambadeniya era 32 km, from kurunegala , are watch worthy.
dambadeniya

 

 

Yapahuwa(1277-1293 A.D.)

 
The rock fortress complex of Yapahuwa is another of the North-Western Province's star attractions. A citadel built on a huge rock boulder in the style of the fifth century Sigiriya rock fortress, Yapahuwa was a military stronghold against foreign invaders for many years and a beautiful royal capital in the last quarter of the thirteenth century.
   

Kurunegala (1293-1341 AD.)

 

Fourth and last kingdom which belongs to the North western province. Kurunegala which is known as Hasthishylapura was governed by many kings. (. Wathimi uwanekabahu,Parakramabahu the Forth,. Wanni Buwanekabahu, Vijayabahu the fifth)

Archeological remains belongings to this period are few. Some of the remain could be seen at the Maligawa premises. A Door Frame an image of a rock cut elephant and round the sacred bodhi, punkalas figures of lions and guard stones and several other stone carvings are preserved.

kurunegala
 

Ethakanda Rajamaha Viharaya

 
Ethkanda monastery situated in the city of Kurunegala itself, is a sacred shrine.  Pansiya Panas  Jathaka  Katha (Five hundred and fifty birth tales) which is the  greatest work in Sinhala Literature, was translated   in Sri Lanka, in premises of this monastery the original  version of this work, is still preserved  at this monastery.
Ethkanda Rajamaha Viharaya